Popular Posts

Friday, March 4, 2011

Growing Artichokes from Seed

This year I'm experimenting with trying to grow some unusual veggies and fruits. Artichokes usually grow in much warmer places than Long Island, but I did some looking around on the net and found an article about growing them in Connecticut:

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/documents/publications/fact_sheets/forestry_and_horticulture/how_to_grow_globe_artichokes_in_connecticut.pdf

I figure if people can grow them in Connecticut, I can grow them in Long Island, where it's a little warmer.

I ordered seeds from Fedco, a seed company in Maine, which only sells seeds for plants that thrive in cold climates. "Imperial Star Globe Artichoke" is especially good in cool places.

Following the instructions I got from the net, at the end of January I soaked the seeds in room-temperature water for two days to soften the seed coat, then "stratified" them for a month. Stratification imitates the cool, wet weather that a seed would normally go through in nature after falling off the parent plant. In my kitchen, I wrapped the presoaked seeds in damp (not wet) paper towels, rolled up the paper towels and put them in a sealed ziploc, and left them in the fridge for a month.

A month later I took the bag out and examined the seeds. They were swollen but not yet sprouting, so I figured the fridge was too cold for them and left the sealed bag on the kitchen counter at room temperature for two days. This is what I got:


The seeds are starting to sprout. I poked drainage holes in the bottom of quart-size yogurt containers, filled them with seed-starting mix, and put them in a sunny window:


Now we'll see what happens. According to the Connecticut instructions, once they have four leaves I can put them outside in the hoophouse, covering them only when there is a chance of frost. In Mid-May I'll take them out of their cups and transplant them to my yard. Where in the yard, I have no idea, since the yard is so small, but I'll figure that out later!

2 comments:

Sheryl at Providence North said...

What a great unusual plant to grow and, hey, if you can grow them, I can grow them too!lol! I must give that a try next year! Thank you for the link and the info!

Magdalen Islands said...

Me too! I want to try them.