Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Make a Quilt from Old Fleeces

Ever since my son was born, I've saved many of his fleece sweatshirts, thinking one day I could make a quilt out of them--a nice reminder of all the times I hugged him when he was wearing those warm, cozy fleeces. I finally got out my pile of fleeces and started working.

I decided to make each quilt piece about 6 1/2 inches square, and I made a template out of some stiff cardboard so I wouldn't have to measure each one--just lay the template on the fabric, go around it with a sharpie marker, and cut.


It's easier if you put the fleece over the end of an ironing board, then lay the template on and trace.

If the fleece has an image on it that you like, the template makes it easy to make that the center of your square:


And if the fleece has stripes or other designs, you can cut your square to include them:


You can cut the sleeves open along the seam; most of the time you can get at least one square from them.

I also cut some squares that included pockets: who says you can't have a pocket in a quilt?


Next phase: sew them all together, and find something to use for backing.

1 comment:

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Great idea! A thick, warm fleece quilt would be wonderful! Sheets make good backing...